Tuesday, July 15, 2008

iPhone, You Were Worth the Hassle

July 11th was the BIG day - the new iPhone was released. Being more of an "indoor girl", I'm not the type that would normally choose to wait outside in 100 degree heat for anything. I don't care what it is. That's just too hot. But the iPhone was a different story. Since I got to play with Leanne's iPhone when we went to Padre, I've been dying to get one. Especially when I was bored out of my mind on the airplane ride home, and I looked over to find she was contentedly watching a movie she'd downloaded onto her iPhone. That did it.

I worked a full shift at work Friday. I'd been up since 5:30 in the morning. I didn't think the line would be that long, so I decided I'd grab dinner on the way home with my new iPhone in hand. After all, I'd eaten a late lunch at 1:30 and it was only 8 pm. So the waiting game began. The line was "only" wrapped around the store and even with the end of the Chuy's building down McKinney. How long could this take?

I'll spare you the gory details, but to make a long (and I do mean long) story short, it took me 3 hours to even get into the Apple store, making it 11pm when I got inside. Not to worry though - the very interesting people waiting in line around me kept me more than entertained.... Once I got inside the store, I had another hour long wait until it was finally my turn to be helped! This makes the time midnight. No biggie, I'm about to get an iPhone, right? Wrong. I (along with all of the other customers in the store) sat there for an hour because the system froze. Apparently AT&T decided to do system maintenance at midnight without telling anyone. So at 1:15 am, we were all sent home - without our new phones. I did, however, get a "cut to the front of the line" pass for the next day though. What I never got? Dinner.

So Saturday morning before heading to a baby shower I stopped by the Apple store again. The people in line were not happy at all when I just mosied on up to the front of the line ahead of them. (How very VIP of me.) After getting inside, we discovered that due to the system maintenance the night before, my transaction was now frozen in some sort of limbo and we'd have to contact AT&T, which could take hours. Once again, I left the Apple store empty handed to head to the baby shower with plans to return in the afternoon.

The third time I went, I didn't care how pissed the people in line were that I jumped in front of them. I wanted my freakin' iPhone! I guess the third time really is a charm, because everything finally worked. I had my iPhone! AND... the manager was so appreciative of my patience that he gave me 50% off my accessories - which totaled close to $80. Nice guy!

Even though it was a total hassle getting the phone, after having it for a couple of days I've decided it was totally and completely worth it all. I love it! I know everyone is saying that, but its true. I'm the most excited about the GPS in it since I seem to get lost all the time. If you don't have one yet and are thinking about getting one, you should head over to the Knox Henderson Apple store and tell Leo that Lorin sent you. After spending so much time together, he's pretty much memorized all of my info - including most of my social security number.


Leanne said...

umm, so 2 complaints. 1. on your bio your job makes you sound SOOOOO much more important than me. Cant you just say nurse (jk). 2. your page says you love your friends but no sight of me!?!? Sadness. :(

Leanne said...

Wow, so I was DRUNK when I posted that comment. I know this because I don't remember doing it. I think I have a problem.