Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, June 25, 2012

Happy Birthday to me!

This year has absolutely flown by.  It literally seems like just yesterday that my family and I were celebrating my birthday at Momo’s with Italian food and a big brownie decorated with a “30” on it.  I was about halfway through my pregnancy at that point, and I can remember thinking I wasn’t sure how I’d survive a whole Texas summer pregnant in that kind of heat.  Little did I know that it would go on record as being the hottest summer in Texas history, with 71 days over 100 degrees.  But, I digress... 

So much has changed in a year!  Logan and I bought our first house and are loving it.  After we closed on the house, we packed and moved in 2 days, unpacked, painted, redid a bathroom, added ceiling fans, changed out all the doorknobs, took out every shred of old landscaping, put in completely new landscaping, bought a plethora of household appliances, sealed and stained the decking around the pool – and are now relaxing and enjoying the fruits of our labor.  I had to say goodbye to my sweet Lucy girl, which was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.  I still miss her terribly, and hope I made the right decision.  Our vet is amazing, and actually sent me a handwritten card in the mail a few days later saying that when you have to make a tough decision in life, you weigh all of your options and then do the best you can with the cards you’re dealt, which is what I did.  Doesn’t make me feel any less guilty, or make it hurt any less, but it is what it is.  We all know she was crazy, and so there was nothing we could do but love her for it.   :)  A few days after saying goodbye to Lucy, we welcomed Knox into our family, which has completely changed us forever.  I thank God every day for giving me the gift of a healthy, happy baby.  I think I’m even more cognizant of what a blessing that is since I work with sick babies at the hospital.  Knox is truly a joy – usually pretty laid back, but when he’s decided he wants something, he wants it now!!  (Yep.  Sounds like me…)  Logan and I are having a blast with him, watching him grow and learn new things.  It’s been quite a journey learning how to be first time parents together, and I couldn’t ask for a better, more supportive parenting partner.  He gets my quirks, and loves me for them anyway.  I didn’t think I’d be one of those people that goes on and on about how wonderful their kid is, but when it’s true, you just can’t help it!  ;) 

We celebrated my birthday with family last weekend, and then Friday night my mom watched Knox so Logan and I could have dinner at Capital Grill.  (Amazing, as always.)  Then on Saturday when Whitney and Cody came over to swim.  We always love hanging out with them.  Ross and Jessica came over for a bit later that evening to see Knox and just relax.  My throat started feeling a little funny, but I brushed it off.  Before the day was over, I was wrapped up in a blanket on the couch with a 102.7 degree fever.  Not how I’d planned to spend my birthday weekend!  I went ahead and drove to the weekend clinic down the street and asked them to run a rapid strep test on me.  Turns out my instincts were right, and I had strep throat.  Happy Birthday to me??  I’ve been on antibiotics for a couple of days now, and am no longer running a fever so I’m feeling better.  Fortunately, Knox hasn’t gotten sick, and is acting just fine.

Logan got me pretty flowers for my birthday.  Love them.  (and him too…)
2.  Birthday flowers
A funny candid shot of Logan and I before going to Capital Grill.  01. CandidTake two.  :) 
1.  Logan and LorinDessert!
2.  Capital Grill 3.  Happy 31st
Knox and Uncle Ross hanging out.  1.  Knox and Uncle Ross
Overall, it was a great birthday.  (I got to stretch out the celebrating for a week, so I think I did alright!)  Hopefully next year I won’t have strep again! 

1 comment:

Zara Chaney said...

I really enjoyed your blog thanks for sharing