Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thanks, Mike and Leanne!

Co Op
Leanne is a member of a local organic co-op for fruits and vegetables, and since she and Mike are in Padre this week, she asked if I’d like to have their share.  Umm… Yes!!  So Saturday morning I headed out to Bedford to pick up the goods.  Granted, I’d just worked my second night shift in a row, and the pick up wasn’t until 10 am, so I was basically holding my eye lids open with toothpicks as I drove.  In my sleepy stupor, I wasn’t sure it would be worth all the effort for some fruits and veggies – especially since I had to work again that night.  But boy was I wrong.  I am SO glad I made the trip!  This stuff is amazing, and I’m having SO much fun cooking with it! 

Here are all of the veggies (minus the head of lettuce, 8 potatoes, and the leek and kale) all washed and ready to go. 

veggies
And the fruits!  Plums, pears, apples, oranges and bananas.  Besides the fact that they taste amazing, they look pretty good on our counter too!

fruits

Since I’d worked yesterday night, I hadn’t had a chance to go to the grocery store to buy the ingredients I’d need for the creative dishes I’ve decided to make.  So instead, I whipped up some rosemary chicken, and steamed the broccoli and carrots, and made fresh side salads with the lettuce and one of the tomatoes.  I have to admit – it was pretty great.  :) 

I am loving cooking these days.  Logan even commented that I’m getting quicker at it too, which is a good thing.  (It used to take me three times the suggested prep time.  I never denied being a perfectionist…)

Since we’ve enjoyed having all these fresh fruits and vegetables, Logan and I are thinking about joining the co-op location near us.  I like that it forces me to be more creative with recipes.  For example, I never would have picked up a butternut squash at the store and thought “I’m going to make something good with this.”  Frankly, I wouldn’t have even known what a butternut squash was.  But since one came with the co-op stuff, I’ve been able to research a great recipe for tomorrow night.  (I can’t wait to make it.)  The next night I’m planning a homemade potato and leek soup.  I’m so excited to be making things besides chicken!  (I’m pretty sure Logan is thrilled to be eating things other than chicken…)

Thank you so much Mike and Leanne for sharing with us!  We are thoroughly enjoying it! 

No comments: